Wednesday 11 July 2012

THIS GENIUS OF A THING



My memory is travelling today of its own volition. It is going places I didn’t send it and if truth be told, places I only have a vague knowledge about. The gist is that I was lying idle today and came across the book ‘Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Irunmole’. Some of you have probably never heard of the book. Shame, shame, shame! It will be one of the great works of fiction you never read. So, I find myself travelling with the duo of Akara Ogun, transported into the various adventurous journeys on different quests and I got thinking. Let me confess that ever since I heard the story of that Nigerian boy who bagged a degree in Neuro Science and broke record at John Hopkin university, I have become somewhat discontented with my life. That is what happens when a person takes a step outside oneself in order to sift through the mystery that is our life.


I wasn’t however thinking about the different adventures that the duo had to embark on, I was thinking about that special pre-birth school of witchcraft and wizardry that D.O Fagunwa must have attended. Have u ever seen 2 dogs mating? They always take time before releasing themselves after locking. That is how my stubborn mind locks itself when it latches onto an idea so don’t even try to convince it that D.O Fagunwa wasn’t some kinda wizard. Of course he didn’t attend this school alone, he was there with Rowlings or how else do you think she came up with that work of ingenuity called Harry Potter. While we are at it, I just finished reading ‘Adiitu Olodumare’ for the… I honestly lost count, ‘Ireke Onibudo’ is another great one. I didn’t read ‘Irinkerindo Ninu Igbo Elegbeje’ and you will have to blame my dad for that. He forgot to upgrade it into his glass shelf. You really didn’t think I was shopping for Yoruba mystic books in his shelf for no reason did you? It was a long rectangular shelf in two layers that had four compartments and the attraction was the sliding glass. Yours truly was in the rat infested one dad is always happy to say is older than me. I don’t get hurt though, it’s also older than my brothers and my mum. By the way, she also has a lantern that has seen more years than all her children. Don’t let me get started on the box she bought for 7naira before she married ‘your father’. Well, when I finally got my hands on the book, apart from the uneven edges that the rats forked through with their teeth, there were palmoil stains, torn pages and a lot of other stains I couldn’t identify. I just dropped it thinking it wasn’t worth the read but now, I think dad was cleverly modeling his well kept books in his new shelf. That one didn’t have the model outlook and would have piqued our curiousity so he left it behind.

Okay so I have been rambling about those books and am sure most children of the 1990s and late 1980s want me to shut up already! Again I will tell you that you don’t know what you are missing. 

‘Tola, what is the point to this book talk’?

The point is quite simple. There is no point. Am just here wondering that if Emmanuel Ohuabunwa at 22 can be admitted into the Phi Beta Kappa Society due to the fact that his brain is working overtime, then wassup with me! Anyways, you all don’t know what’s going down this year. It was planned in collision with the gatekeeper. It all started in 1963 when Fagunwa died in a car accident. He met Onibode at the entrance to heaven.

                                    TO BE CONTINUED
This piece continues at the entrance to heaven. It gets better. Don't blame me for cutting it here though, some1 told me you will get bored reading at a stretch.

3 comments:

  1. So your mind takes u on this 'wakabout' journey and u decide to chatter a bus and put us all on it ehn. U berra start dat bus parked at heavens gate and drive thru.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls don't let me drive through. Let me stay here on earth and my mind do the driving. Even my mind is not ready to go beyond the gate.

      Delete
  2. hmm,how i wish you could understand the awesome feeling of being speechless.

    ReplyDelete